Thursday, 31 August 2017

Lucy Lost - Brooklyn

Lucy Lost

Lucy. All I could think about was Lucy. I could tell Isaac was thinking the same thing. George was clinging to my back, drifting in and out of consciences. The fumes creeping into his lungs, strangling him from the inside. He was still holding on to his teddy bear, that was the only thing telling me he was still alive. And to think it all happened so fast. Everything was taken away from me, a rug pulled from under my feet. I was clinging on to so many lives. George’s, Lucy’s and - not to mention - my own.

That Morning 8:00am

“I told you not to touch that!” Snapped Lucy in her normal sassy tone. We were in her apartment opening her birthday presents. “Well you weren’t touch’n it!” Isaac replied trying to make it sound like he wasn’t the tiniest bit afraid of her. Lucy rolled her eyes and put her focus back on her new drone.
“Lucy! There is one more present in your room!” Dave, Lucy’s father called from the kitchen, where he was preparing brunch. Lucy’s eyes’ lit up and she ran to her bedroom, Isaac and I following soon after. We chased her to her room and her face flopped into a frown when she saw what was waiting on her bed. “What is this?” Lucy exclaimed holding up a pair of leopard pattern boots. She clearly did not want the boots and Lucy wasn’t the sort of person to hide things like that. Her Dad walked in the room brushing his floury hands on his ‘kiss the cook’ apron. “They are Ugg boots!” Dave said cheerfully, obviously not hearing the sarcasm and disgust in Lucy’s voice.
Just then my phone rang. I picked it up and was disappointed to see ‘Mum<3’ on the phone. ‘Who’s that?’ Isaac mouthed. ‘Mum’ I mouthed back well I answered it.
“Hello?”
“Hi Dolly. Julie and I want you boys to come home now”
“Do we have to? We haven’t even had the cake yet!”
“Now”
“Ugh, really?”
“NOW!”
And with that, she hung up. “We have to go home” I moaned.
“Your Mum can’t do that! She can’t tell you what to do and when to do it like she is the boss of you!” Snapped Lucy back.
“I wish that was true” sighed Isaac, never wanting to leave Lucy’s side. I could tell he had a crush on Lucy - I did too - but whenever he tried to ask her out I would quickly change the subject. So we said our thank yous - only getting a grunt back from Lucy - and were on our way.

We slowly trudged down the street, both in a stroppy mood. “Mum’s are the worst” moaned Isaac, his eyes following his feet. “They only thing they're good at is feeding us!” He carried on, getting more and more angry “In fact that’s all they ever do! And they should stick to it to! They should stop jabbering on about “do this! Do that! No don't touch that!”. Why do we have to go home anyway?!” I shrugged, but she probably had a good reason. We got to our street, Oxford Court and went up to our house’s front doors. Our houses were right next to each other. The first time I met Isaac was when he moved in 9 years ago. I was going over to introduce myself and when he opened the door he jumped on me because he thought I was going to attack him.
I walked into my house, surprised to find George - my three year old brother - standing there in his Pirate suit. “Hey Dolly!”. George called me Dolly because when we were young they used to play with army men together. George didn’t know how to say ‘Army Men’ back then so he would call them Dolly’s. And from then on the family had known me as Dolly. “Want to play pirates with me?” George asked. I groaned but then realised my mum was watching me (and mum was already mad at me for talking back) “Sure” I replied.

I played with George the whole day. Eventually we gave up and went to our rooms. Then something strange happened. The ground started to rumble and my legs turned to jelly. Things were flying off my wall at me, some hitting me in the back, hard. My brain finally clicked. It was a earthquake, a huge one two. The walls started to crack and I thought the roof was going to fall down on me. My heart ponded and I crawled to the doorway, hoping it was strong enough to hold the pressure of the earthquake. Just then one wall of my bedroom collapsed and the house went on a lean, killing my puppy Dogo in the process. I started to cry. I cried for Dogo, my brother, my mum, Lucy and Isaac. Then everything stopped. Just paused for a minute. I could hear George crying and screaming from next door. I got up and ran to him. The gasses made it had to breath and you could hardly see the thick dust in the air. I ran over to him and could make out a bit of the ceiling on his leg. He was screaming my name, I lifted the heavy piece of concrete of his leg. Only now did I realise the sharp pain in my back. I felt where it was, and found a gashing cut in my back. I turned back to George who was screaming in pain of his leg. Then he just stopped. I feared he was dead, I bent over him clutching his teddy bear. He was still alive. I grabbed his bed sheet and wrapped up his leg. While picking him up on my back I ran to mum's room, but only to discover that there was nothing but rubble. She was under there somewhere, dead.

I ran outside with George on my back, still gripping onto his teddy bear. He was unconscious, but breathing. The blood from his leg soaking the crisp, white sheet. Isaac came running outside with his little sister, Ava. Her arm in a bloody sling, but Isaac seemed unhurt. I took a few deep breaths and took in everything around us. Some buildings had completely fallen down and there was gas in the air, making it nearly impossible to breath. We looked at eachother for a long time. Trying to put together what just happened. But no matter how hard I tried, I could not stop thinking about one person. Lucy. All I could think about was Lucy. I can tell Isaac was thinking the same thing. George was clinging to my back, drifting in and out of consciences. The fumes creeping into his lungs, strangling him from the inside. He was still holding on to his one eyed teddy bear, that was the only thing telling me he was still alive. And to think it all happened so fast. Everything was taken away from me, a rug pulled from under my feet. I was clinging on to so many lives. George’s, Lucy’s and - not to mention - my own. We started to run to Lucy’s apartment. Realising that everything was collapsed, and so must Lucy’s apartment. Ava started to cry and whimper, oh how I hated when little kids cry. We ran down Oxford street. We ran 10 blocks then taking a right. We ran until our feet were on fire, until it was nearly impossible to breath. We took the last left and there it was, Lucy’s apartment. Lying horizontally across the street. We slowly walked to the 37th floor peering in the broken window. I laid Goerge carefully on the ground, Issac doing the same with Ava. I peered into the window, everything was everywhere. There was no way Lucy had survived. I stepped through the window. The first thing I saw was Dave, blood smeared over his body. He was lying in the smashed oven - the one he was not long before cooking in. But Lucy was nowhere to be seen. We searched the apartment, my back aching in every sharp turn. We ventured back out the broken window, me first and then Isaac. To find Ava and George both in an unconscious state, still bleeding uncontrollably. “Noah, I, I think you should put some pressure on that back” Isaac wheezed out of breath. I turned my head around to look at my back. The hole was bigger than I had expected it to be. The blood had ran down my back and legs, like the river Nile. I picked up George, Issac doing the same with Ava. We ventured out into the evening city looking for shelter and - not to mention - Lucy.

We found a house that was still sort of together, and went inside. We good some bed sheets and some food for tomorrow. We set up camp and fell asleep shortly after. Never to wake up again.