Thursday, 31 August 2017

I'm Gone

When you lie to someone are you supposed to tell them or go along with it? The last time I lied I nearly got sent to jail, nearly killed someone and lost my best friend. Nobody's perfect so why does everyone think I have to be?

The fox tooth, That’s what we call ourselves. Not everyone is allowed in our group but If you want to join, there’s a cost. 4 days, 4 events, 1 person. Not everyone survives. It’s a all for yourself kind of situation. I remember my “torture,” Austin, Bruce and myself all went through those 4 days just to be part of a stupid group.  Not all of us survived.

Day 1:
“LINE UP!” Shouted a very big man in a uniform. There is so many thoughts going through my head. Why did I agree to this? Where am I? Who are these people?
“For the next 4 days you will encounter many difficult challenges all including you and proving yourself worthy to join the fox tooth. I’m Mr Whitehead but you…. will call me sir” “You will now face your first challenge, The cleanse.”

“Welcome to the cleanse” Said a Boy not much older than me, He must be around 18 years old. His scruffy hair and blue eyes go well with his chiseled chin.
“I’m Four” He said as we just stand there like statues.
“The cleanse is a very big part of the initiation to become one of us. One of us will hold your head underwater for as long as you can, If you can hold it for long enough you go through to the next challenge. If you failed, there will be consequences.”
“You, Your first” Four said as he pointed to Austin. As He holds Austin’s head under the water, My whole body starts to shake. Austin is an olympic swimmer and has bet the record 4 years in a row for how long you can hold your breath but as soon as Four pushed his head under that water he looked as if he was in pain, as if he was out of breath already less than 10 seconds past and Austin gave up. He lifted his head and everyone gasped. His eyes, they were dead. Slowly one by one we each had a turn. Just before my turn Austin told me to breath underwater. I was so confused, only aquaman can do that
“You, Little kid with the tank top, it’s your turn.” Four yelled at me. As I walked over to him he started smiling.
“You look exactly like a girl I know” Four said just before my head was plunged underwater. ‘Breath, Breath, Breath.’ I said to myself as the water stung my face. I took a deep breath in through my mouth and then out through my nose but how did Austin know and why didn’t he do the same? I started thinking about Angie. Why did she run away? Was she scared? I just want to know the truth.

As I came out of the water. Everyone was staring at me. Four looked at me in shock as he saw the time on his stopwatch. 48min 23 secs

Day 2:
I woke up to the sound of sirens. “Come on lazy bones, you’re going to miss breakfast.” Bruce yells at me from across the room.
It’s been 4 months since my sister ran away. Everyday I searched for her but never got anywhere. Then Austin showed me this place. He said it would take my mind off it, that it would be good for me. He was wrong.
As I enter the dining hall the room is buzzing with noise. People yelling, people talking and people eating. Suddenly the room went quiet. I turned around to see if someone had walked in but no one was there. Everyone was looking at me. People started whispering. They said stuff about the cleanse and how the water didn’t ruin me. Then I saw her, Angie. She was sitting down at a table not to far from ours. I tried to get up but something was holding me down. There was a hand on my shoulder and it was big one. I looked up to see Mr Whitehead’s wide face smirking.
“We need to talk” He said to me in his monotone voice. We slowly walked together to his office. As I step inside the first thing I see is Angie and my picture up on the wall of his office.
“Certain people are good at certain things. Nerds are good at school work. Jocks are good at sports but have you ever met someone who is just naturally good at everything?” Mr Whitehead says to the wall,
“No sir. I have many friends who are good at things but I have never met someone who is good at everything.” I replied very quickly.
“I’m going to write down something on a piece of paper and then I want you to try and think of what that word might be.” He says writing something down. I look up at him and think if I was him what would I write.
“What was the word you were thinking of?” Mr Whitehead asks me.
“I thought of a word that I have never thought of before Sir. I’m not even sure if it’s a real word.” My voice comes out a little to weak and sounds like I’m about to cry.
“I don’t care if you don’t think it’s a real word just tell me the word” He says raising his voice.
“Eccentric” Yes that was my word, I have no idea what it means but that was what came to my head.
“See these two pictures on my wall? There is one of you and one of your sister Angie. Both of you are what we call, Divergent.” He says very slowly.
“You both can sense things and have the power to do very special things with your mind. The reason I am telling you this is because the next challenge you are going to face will test those powers and if you get caught using them, That’s the end for you.” Mr Whitehead explains. I just nod my head as if to say that I understand, but to be completely honest I have no idea what he just said. I was to busy watching a cockroach run down the wall.
“Good to see you understand, Now run along and make sure you are on time to your next challenge.” He says very quietly.

“This challenge is called The room. You will be put in a room for 48 hours with no food, water or anything. This tests if you can handle being out on your own when you have nothing.” Four said smiling as if he wants to see us suffer.
“While you are in this room, we will inject you with a serum that will only show your fears, only you and me can see these fears. You will experience hallucinations depending on what you are afraid of. The average person has around 8 - 10 fears. So don’t worry if you have a lot. We just want to see how you handle them.” Four continues to explain.
“He sounds like a nut job. Plus I have no fears.” Bruce whispers to me. We both snicker at the thought of it.
“First up I want Bruce.” Four invites Bruce into the room. As soon as Bruce is fully inside the door swings shut and locks itself multiple times.  
“Be back here at 12:34am on Wednesday so the next person can go in the room.” Four said before going through a small door at the end of the hall.

It’s Wednesday and I’m worried for the safety of Bruce. He has never gone a full 2 minutes without eating let alone 48. When we arrive there is a note stuck to the door. ‘Brett go through the door to your left and wait on the chair.’ I walk through the door but inside it’s pitch black. They lights suddenly turn on and I see the chair but It’s not empty. Angie is there just sitting on the chair but something’s not right, she doesn’t look real. She isn’t moving or blinking. I move closer, I’m now about 2 feet away from Angie and she still hasn’t moved.
“Brett kick me” Angie said, but it wasn’t her voice that came out her mouth it was Four’s. I stood still. Nothing Happened, The lights went off and I’m standing here in the pitch black trying to figure out what to do. Something grabs my feet, it’s dragging me somewhere. I’m suddenly in a glass box. Water filling up from the bottom. I bang on the glass, I kick the glass nothing happens. The water has reached my head, ‘I’m going to die here’ I say to myself. I gently touch the glass thinking about my family and my friends, Thinking about Angie. The glass shatters and I fall to the floor. One touch and it broke. I’m lying on the floor. People enter the room surrounding me, saying things like, It just shattered or he only has 2 fears. Then I hear that one voice.
“Eccentric” said Four as everyone steps aside for him to look at me properly. Everything goes black.  
Day 3:
Headache, Sore throat, Groggy eyes all symptoms of a cold. Not here though. You have those and you are considered weak. You are considered as not good enough or can’t keep up. That’s why I felt sorry for Bruce. Austin and I are standing by his bed looking down as he sneezes and coughs up a storm.
“Brett we really must go, or we will be late for the next challenge” Austin says to me trying to pull me away.

We walk together to the dining hall. Yet again everything goes quiet when I walk in. Whispers of “Eccentric”, “Shattered” and even “Cheater.” When we reach our table we see Angie sitting there waiting for us. I run up to her and hug her. She pushes me off and starts yelling at me.
“WHAT THE *&%# DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?”
“I’m sorry.” I’m pathetic. That’s all I could come up with to say.
“You should be” Angie says and storms off.
“Look man don’t take it to heart it’s probably just her time of the month again.” Austin says trying to cheer me up.
“All trailers please go to the courtyard for your next challenge” Says a voice over the speaker. Austin and I gather our things ready for whatever is ahead. Four is waiting for us in the courtyard. He is holding a clipboard but yet he writes nothing down. When he sees us he waves at us to hurry up.
“Seeing as Bruce couldn’t be here today he won’t be able to continue his trial and will be eliminated from the course. Today we will be doing a challenge called Down the rabbit hole. You will split up and first on to find the rabbit hole and jump down it wins. Easy right? Wrong there is many different obstacles and they all have something to do with your fears. Brett because you have less than half the amount of  fears that Austin has he will have a 5 minute head start. Any questions? No okay let’s begin”
“GO” Four yells and Austin is off. Not long after he yells and there is a big bang.
“Four we have to help him!” I try to tell Four but he isn’t listening. I wait here impatiently waiting for, Four to say go.
“Okay kid here it goes, GO!” Fours yells and I sprint through the forest. Out of nowhere Angie runs in front of me. “Run to the tower” She whispers in my ear. The sound of her voice makes me shiver. I’m running as fast as I can, no stopping. What’s at the tower? Was that just an hallucination? Why am I afraid of her? As I’m running everything blacks out, suddenly I’m in the glass box again. Water filling from the bottom, covering my shoes. My socks are soaked and I’m running out of air. I try to break the glass nothing happens. Then I saw it, The tower. I push on the glass and it shatters, I’m running. As I reach the tower I notice something weird about the top window. There is a shadow in the shape of a person. I pick up a rock and try to hit the window. It takes me about 6 goes before I actually smash it. The shadow disappears and the door opens. I walk in and the walls are covered in pictures of me and I’m starting to get freaked out. Thump, Thump, Thump. Footsteps slowly walk down the stairs.

“What are you doing here?” Whispered the girl. Her face was covered by a paper bag. Her black hair shines in the light of the sun that shines through a crack in the ceiling.
“I’m looking for a rabbit hole.” I said warily, not really sure what to do. The girl slowly points to the ground.
“Goodbye” She says. Suddenly the floor collapses and I’m in a dark room. I try to look for something but it’s pitch black and I’m not really a cat. As I’m walking around I hear a soft dripping noise. Drip, Drip, Drip. It’s getting louder. The lights come on. The first thing I see is Bruce.
“Hey, what are you doing down here, I thought you were sick.” I said walking towards him. No reply.
“Bruce…….” I’m about 4 feet away from him now but something's not right. His body is slumped against the wall, with no movement. I poke him in the head and his body just collapsed to the ground. Blood was coming out of his side and his eyes have no colour. Bruce was dead. So this is what they meant my eliminated. They didn’t want people to find out about them. Poor Bruce he died alone. Wait I never would have found him if hallucination Angie didn’t tell me about the tower. How did she know? Was that even a hallucination? I’m starting to panic. My hands are sweaty, my head hurts and I feel sick. I try to find a way out. I wonder what Austin is doing.

Day 4:
It’s been hours and I still haven’t found a way out. Soft footsteps are walking towards me.
“Come on we have to get rid of the body before one of those loser kids finds it.” Said a very deep voice. Two shadows darken the walls and I run to hide behind one of the many crates. Their footsteps become louder and louder. They are now standing right above Bruce. Both men have a chain around their neck with a fox tooth hanging off it. I guess they are part of the group too. Sometimes I hate my body because it does some very bad things just like now. I farted as loud as I can.
“Cooper was that you?” Shouted the big guy.
“No it was you! Do you really think I would do that Nate?” Shouted back Cooper.
“Come let’s stop fighting and get a move on” Nate said grabbing Bruce’s arms. As they walk away Bruce’s blood left drops leading the way out. Great I will follow those. I wait a bit before following the trail just to make sure I don’t get caught.

Ah fresh air. I think to myself as I leave the dark room. I’m now back in the forest. On the other side of the trees I see a flag.  I start running, as fast as I can. As I reach out for the flag something grabs me by the ankle. I’m being dragged through the mud. I look up, only to find that my best friend, Eyes dead, holding a knife was dragging me back into the rabbit hole.  Something was wrong with him and I need to find out what. I kick him as hard as I can and he falls to the ground. I start to run again, making sure I grab the flag until I hear Austin scream as if he was in pain. I look behind, Austin is lying on the floor with the knife going through the middle of his chest. The idiot he was running with a knife and landed on it. I sprint over to him. Blood is coming out of his body like a waterfall. His eyes roll back into his head and I start to yell.
“SOMEONE HELP PLEASE. HE DYING.” I scream.
“He wasn’t strong enough” Said a familiar voice. A shadow emerges from the tree.
“Four……… What are you doing here.” I say still holding Austin’s dead body in my arms.
“Like I said before he wasn’t strong enough so we gave him a bit of a boost. To bad it ended like this. He was such a nice boy.” Four said in the most sarcastic way possible.

I’m running. I’m nearly at the flag. I don’t know why but something about that flag makes me want it. As I reach out for the flag something stops me. Angie’s voice rings through my head.
“Stop, Don’t touch the flag.” Her voice sounds so tired, So sad.
“Go back to rabbit hole. Talk to the girl.” She whispers so I start to run. When I reach the tower. The door is locked. There is not shadow in the window and the girl is nowhere to be seen.

Slowly the trees start to sway. The sky goes dark with clouds filled with rain drops. Lighting strikes and the ground shakes. I hold the tree next to me to make sure I don’t fall. The door swings open and in the doorframe stands the girl. Her face isn’t covered and she is quite a beauty. Her eyes are bright green like the leaves around us.

“Your back, I thought they would have killed you already.” She tries to yell over the sound of the storm. I ran to her to get inside but I trip over a rock and end up on top of her on the floor.  
“Oh um…….. I’m sorry” I said as I stood up. She started laughing. She just kept laughing for a full 5 min. Thunder strikes again.
“I’m Laya by the way.” Laya said, her green eyes shining like emeralds.
“I’m Brett” I say trying to sound cool but instead I sound like a kid about to cry.
“Um yeah I know…… Oh yeah and I know Angie too.” Her voice started to shake. Laya seems nice but there was something about her that made me want to run but at the same time makes me want to stay forever.
“Follow me, I want to show you something.” Laya said in her sweet but quiet voice. She starts walking through the forest. I follow behind trying to remember the different features so we don’t get lost. Laya stops and when I look out in front of us I’m amazed! There is a massive waterfall on the other side of a humongous cliff. I step closer to the edge to get a better look.
“Brett I’m sorry” Laya says sounding almost sad. Out of nowhere she pushes me and I stumble and fall over the edge. I scream at the top of my lungs but nothing comes out.

Something weird is going on, I have been falling for over 8 min and the gorge wasn’t that deep. THUMP! I hit the ground I open my eyes only to find the clear blue sky and Laya looking over me. She seemed in shock.
“You just fell out of the sky, but how I just pushed you off the..” She stopped suddenly in mid sentence thinking about what she just said. Laya starts to back up and turns to run. I grab out and her ankle fits into my hand perfectly. Laya falls to the ground, hitting her head hard on a nearby rock. I run towards her. Her head is cracked, her eyes closed, her breath gone cold. I reach out and grab her hands. Laya’s body dragging behind me as I drag her back to the tower. Good thing I remembered the different features. Soon the tower is standing tall above us leaving a shadow behind. The rain has stopped, which is a good thing.

I lay Laya’s body down on top of where the rabbit hole opening is and start to look around. I look at all the photo’s of Angie and I. As I walk up the stairs I start to hear a soft tapping noise coming from the window. I look over and see a note taped to the top of the window sill. “Duck now” The note read. I duck as fast as I can. Laya was standing behind me and a rock flew out the window. She tried to kill me. Twice! Her footsteps heavy as she runs down the stairs and out the door. I watch her from the window, running to the cliff.

The photos on the wall don’t look very old. One of them catches my eye. It’s of Me, Bruce and Austin just before we started cross country. The things is we didn’t take a photo before cross country. I was sick that day and didn’t show up for school either. Something is very weird with this photo. I turn it over, there is a envelope with my name on it. I slowly open it. My hands start shaking as I draw the Letter out. The letter read …

Dear Brett

I love you.
By the time you read this I would have already jumped off the cliff.
Please take the pictures, I need you to remember everything that happened.
As soon as you finish reading this I want you to jump down the rabbit hole, keep running until you reach the flag. WHATEVER YOU DO DON’T TOUCH THE FLAG. You will see 2 big trees. Under each tree is a hole, make sure you take the second hole.  I can’t explain it but you will teleport somewhere. I can’t tell you where but I need you to trust me.
If you see Four, please tell him “Laya is gone” I need him to know.
The messages you have gotten from Angie through these past few days are very important. They all have one thing in common. You.
I have to go but please follow my instructions.

I love you,
Laya

I look down at the rabbit hole. Here goes nothing…….

I hit the ground hard. My arms scraped from the crates that I landed on. The lights are on and Bruce’s Blood trail is still there. I follow it till I see the door. The door opens. The flag is right there. I almost grab it but then remember Laya’s warning. I keep going till I see the two trees. The second hole is smaller than the first and I can’t fit down. I keep trying and trying.
“You look a little stuck there.” Said a familiar voice.
“Four…… How do you know Laya?” I say back. Four looks shocked as if her name brings back scarred memories. “She wanted me to tell you ‘Laya is gone’.” I say trying to sound as sympathetic as possible. Four falls to his knees. His eyes bloodshot and filling with tears. His hands are upon my shoulders now. He pushes as hard as he can and I fall through the hole.

My body hits the ground hard and I open my eyes to see Angie looking over me.

“Welcome to the fox tooth”