Wednesday, 30 August 2017

A Story For Another Day

It was my fault. They did nothing to deserve this, nothing. I can still remember their voices, sweet, peaceful. I swore they were right behind me. I turned my back for one second, and they were. Gone. First they take your home, and then they take, everything. My name is Brooklyn. And I have seen things, you couldn’t even dream of. And this is my story on how I turned from a normal country girl. Into a soldier.

8 Years Earlier…

“MUM, CAN WE GET SOME SNACKS?” I shouted from my bedroom. “Calm down Brooklyn” Said Caitlin. “Yeah take a chill pill bruh” Added Chloe. “MUMMMMMM!”
“Brooklyn!” Brooklyn looked behind her and saw her mum’s head poke around the corner of the door. “Don’t yell at me! I’m just in the next room!” “Ughhhh, ok then, snacks?” Ianthe sighed and walked out the room. “Was that a NO or a YES?” Everyone stared at me. I stared back for a second and then added. “Quit staring you’re creeping me out” Ella started to walk up to me, went right in front of my face... and snorted. Everyone cracked up laughing. The night went on as the five girls, Ella, Chloe, Caitlin, Britney, and me Brooklyn, had a very weird, and strange sleepover. “BROOKLYN GET OFF OF ME YOU FAT HIPPO” Shrieked Chloe as she tried to push me off of her. “NO NO NO NO NO” Yelled Chloe as Ella started to ran up to me and her, catapulting herself onto me and squashing Chloe in the process. That was the last time we ever had fun. Half way through the night was when it all started. Where my life was no longer ordinary. CRASH! I shot out of bed trying to search for the light, realizing only a second later, that the huge oak tree that was standing tall outside my house, was now lying in my living room. Once I knew what was going on, I found Caitlin, Britney and Ella all trying to pull something from under the tree that had crashed through the roof leaving dust, and wood all over the floor. I stood their, shocked as I saw my mum and dad reach over and pull out a body. I stumbled over before I limped towards my friends. I fell backwards when I realized, the body belonged to the one person who was not with them that moment... Chloe. I ran over to her shaking her, hoping to wake her up, screaming her name as if she could hear me but not talk back. Suddenly a light shone above my head and a creature, tentacles coming out of it’s mouth, razor sharp teeth, grabbed hold of my mum and dad, strangling them as I rose to my feet screaming at the thing that stood in front of me. The creature took one look at me, dropped my parents and ran away. Ella, and Caitlin, rushed over to my parents, seeing if they were okay, while Britney had tried to wake up Chloe. I had realized one thing that day. That a war had just started between aliens and humans, and I was not going to sit it out.

8 Years Later…

And now I am here. Fighting the monsters that took this lovely planet from me, and every other human that has ever lived here. Chloe lived, and so did my parents, but they have never looked at me the same. I don’t blame them, after all I didn’t feel the same. “ATTENTION!” Shouted Sergeant Mesley. Chloe’s dad had already joined the army when the aliens had attacked, Chloe wasn’t so proud as her dad was. “YOU HAVE ALL BEEN RECRUITED TO ME AND I DOUBT THAT ANY OF YOU” He looked at me with a doubting expression. “WILL MAKE IT TO YOUR FIRST MISSION”
“NO SIR” Everyone shouted. “Well we’ll see about that.” Every day from then was a nightmare. He always made us say Sir, and if you said his real name Pete Mesley you’d be sleeping with the fishes. After we had finished training Caitlin, Ella, Britney, Chloe and I, were ready for our first mission. Mission #232.

35 Days Later…

After 35 days of running, jumping and feeding of birds, we were no closer to the Queen’s nest. We had spotted some of her guards lurking around most of the buildings but every time we followed one of them, they lead us nowhere. We have picked up the theory that they know we are following them and are leading us in the wrong direction. But why not kill us if they knew that we were there? So many unanswered questions. *Yawn I peeked over my shoulder. “Ella shut it, there could be aliens nearby!” Caitlin whispered. “It’s not like there are any at the moment” Ella rudely answered. “What is wrong with you?”
“Well, let me see. I have no family what so ever, my brother was killed in an earthquake, and my parents was slaughtered by the aliens, so right now EVERYTHING IS WRONG WITH ME!!!”
“Hey. Don’t act like you have been the only one who has seen things that they wish they hadn’t seen!”
“BOTH OF YOU SHUT IT!” I turned around to see Britney looking like she was about to explode! “I HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF YOUR BICKERING! ALL YOU EVER DO IS YELL AT EACH OTHER! I AM SICK OF IT!” Everyone could not believe their eyes. We all just stood there frozen in shock. “That’s more like it” Britney added sitting down on the hard floor.
“AUGHHHHHHHHHHHH” I woke up with my heart beating out of my chest. I slowly zipped the tent’s door open and right before my eyes I saw five aliens each more hideous than the other. Three of them were holding Britney, Ella, and Caitlin. I ducked back in my tent searching for my gun. Where is it? I thought unstably. When I finally found it I pulled open the door and pointed the gun outside. But they were already gone.

“CHLOE WAKE UP” I whispered loudly. “THEIR GONE! THEIR ALL GONE!”
“Who?” She answered. “CAITLIN, BRITNEY, AND ELLA!”
“WHAT?! HOW?!”
“The aliens got them, they must have snuck in because I didn’t hear them coming”
“Then how did you know they took them?” She asked calming down. “I heard Ella’s scream” I ran out of Chloe’s tent going inside their’s in hope for some sort of clue. I had already got dressed and was ready to go look for them, but I had no idea where to look. “Brooklyn? Brooklyn where are you” I heard Chloe whisper. “I’m over here! In Ella’s tent”
“Oh thank goodness I thought you had left me”
“I would never leave you. We are in this together” Chloe gave me a thankful smile, and left me to go get ready. After searching for a while I joined Chloe outside who was packing up all of our equipment. “You ready?” She asked me. I looked directly into her eyes. “Let’s get our friends back.”

2 Days Later…

“Brooklyn we have to stop”
“NO! WE WILL NOT STOP! WE HAVE TO FIND OUR FRIENDS!”
“Brooklyn. I am as worried as you are. But you have to think of the possibilities. It’s been days, unless the queen want’s them for something, I don’t think their...” She took a long pause. “Alive?” I finished her sentence without saying anymore. She just nodded looking guilty. “Well I am not taking that chance, because I know that out there, where ever they are, they are alive! So are you coming with me or not!”
“Okay” I looked down at her sad face. “I will come with you. But if they are...no more, we have to keep going”
“Deal” With that we set off towards the city hoping they would have passed through while going to the queen’s hive. “WATCH OUT” I glanced over my shoulder to see Chloe come at me like a hurricane and tackle me on the floor. I could feel my legs slam onto the hard concrete floor. “OUCH! WHAT THE HEC…!”
“SHHHHHH” I stared at Chloe for a second, and mouthed What? She didn’t say anything, she just looked up. I looked up as well hoping for an explanation. And I got one. The moment I looked up I saw an alien ship glide over us, I immediately ducked, hoping they did not spot me. I glanced back at Chloe and mouthed OH! She looked at me with a dumb expression. I poked my tongue out at her, she just sighed and looked back at the ship. Two aliens stumbled out of the ship, their tentacles waking in the air, their feet making little holes in the dirt. I looked at their ugly faces trying so hard not to shoot them in the face. Chloe obviously noticed me struggling, because she slowly pushed my gun towards the ground. I glared back at the aliens who were leaving the ship. I took that as an opportunity and poked Chloe in the arm trying to signal her. I poked her five times before she finally looked at me with an angry face. I slowly pointed to the alien’s ship and mimicked us walking into it. She obviously shook her head and mouthed ARE YOU STUPID?! I just nodded, jumped up and slowly stalked towards the ship. I glanced back behind me to see Chloe smacking her head with her hand in anger, and get up to follow me. When we reached the ship I slowly closed the door and turned on the engine. “do you even know how to fly one of these...things?” She asked. “It’s in the training manual”
“Which one?”
“Section 5B”
“Oh, I didn’t read that one” She said disappointed. I smirked at her and brought my focus back to the ship. The aliens must have heard us take off because they started to shoot at us. “FLY HIGHER!” Chloe yelled at me. “DO YOU WANT TO FLY?” That shut her up. After escaping the alien’s deadly bullets, we flew towards a huge ship. “That must be the Queen’s hive” Said Chloe studying the ship. “WOW” Was all I said. “Don’t fly there! They can see us!”
“I won’t, don’t worry” I reassured her. “I am going to fly up the the roof so we can get into the ship easily”
“Ummm, ok. But I am still not sure about this” I stopped listening to her after that. All my focus went towards landing the ship. “Steady, steady”
“SHUT UP I KNOW HOW TO LAND!” I snapped. “Ok sorry. Just trying to help” Landing on the ship is not as easy as I thought, because when I landed Chloe fell over. “HAHA!”
“HEY THAT WAS YOUR FAULT!” I noticed something from the corner of my eye. “HEY LOOK AT ME WHEN I TALK TO YOU!” Chloe was spitting with anger after I shushed her with my finger. Chloe tried to connect the dots with what I was looking at. She noticed shortly after and calmed down. An open roof flap, was leading into the ship. Chloe and I slowly walked out of the ship, guns in our hands, ready for anything that would come out of the roof flap. But nothing did. I looked over to Chloe with a confused look, she just glanced back at me and shrugged. We both made our way towards the flap when Chloe grabbed my arm. “Go”
“What?”
“I want you to go, and get our friends, I will stay guard here and make sure our ride doesn’t fly away”
“No!”
“Huh?”
“I am not leaving anyone else behind. You come with me!” She looked at me, smiling as if she had given me a test, and I had just passed. “Let’s go” I said confidently. A minute later I regretted bringing her down there. Gas spread all through the air leaving it hard for us to breath. My chest felt pain, unspeakable pain, like a sword slicing your chest open. My lungs felt the same, like they could wither away at any moment. I did not want to lose a friend just because I wanted to save my other friends. And worst of all it was my decision, so whatever happens to her now would be my fault. I so was lost in my thoughts that I didn’t realize. I was lost. “Chloe” I whispered into the black abyss. “Are you there?”
“Yeah I’m here” When she replied my heart immediately froze out of fear. “You scared me!” I whispered madly. “I thought I had lost you!” She looked back at me with an expression I could only imagine was full with sadness. “I..I’m sorry” I reached for for her hand and squeezed it lightly as I smiled at what I thought was her face. “Let’s go” And with that we both stalked through the wires and smoke until we finally found an exit. “There it is” I said in amazement. “The door to the queen herself” We had ran around the wires and smoke for a few minutes before we found the unguarded door that led trait to the Queen. “It’s a bit suspicious” Said Chloe with a curious face. “Yeah your right. There should have been guards all through this quadrin. But no one is here” We both stared at the door for a good few minutes before I slowly reached and turned the doorknob. Chloe watched with her gun in her hand. I slowly peeked around the corner of the door expecting a whole there, getting ready to kill any stowaways. And lucky for us, we were their stowaways.  “On 3” I signalled Chloe. “1...2…3” on three we lunged at the open door ready to fire. But no one was there. “Whaattttt?” I said surprisingly. Chloe looked at me with my exact same expression. I walked over towards the center of the room, looking at my surroundings. “Nothing’s her…”
“AGHHHHHH” I spun around to see a huge alien grabbing hold of Chloe. “CHLOE!”  I screamed. The Queen glared at me with it’s huge eyes, and spoke to me. “Brooklyn” I reached for my gun and aimed at the Queen firing at her stomach. “ERAGHHHH” Her scream was deafening. I covered my ears out of pain. When the Queen stopped her awful screaming, I realized who she was holding, Ella, Caitlin, Britney, and Chloe. “Brooklyn. You shouldn’t have done that”
“WHY NOT?!”
“Because now” She looked with her beady eyes at my friends. “I am going to kill the ones you love” I froze. Surely the Queen couldn’t be that terrible. Could she? “NO!” I screamed. “Oh so you do care about them?”
“OF COURSE I DO! I need them” I looked at my friends with a warm smile. Chloe looked at me terrified. I looked back at her and mouthed. Don’t worry. You’ll be alright. She started to smile. Even though I could tell she was still terrified. “NOW LET THEM GO!”
“I don’t think I will”
“Fine” The Queen looked at me with curious eyes and without warning I fired my gun at each of her hands, making her release my friends. They all dropped onto the floor and then we fled for the door. “YOU'RE NOT GETTING OUT THAT EASILY!” I looked back at the Queen who had grabbed Britney and Caitlin in her hands, she looked at my horrified face. She smiled and crushed them. “NOOOOOOO!” I screamed. “WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE!” Chloe screamed. “IT’S NOT SAFE HERE” Ella added. I looked back at them and nodded. We all started running again but the Queen noticed and screamed, making us drop and cover our ears. Once she stopped I looked over to Chloe who gave me a nodd, saying she was ok. And then I looked over to Ella, she glanced at me, smiled. Out of nowhere a giant foot stood on Ella. “AGHHHHH” I screamed, staring at a pool of blood and smashed bones. Chloe looked equally as mortified. I stopped gasping for air. What had just happened? Had I really lost my friends? I looked over to Chloe. At least I still have one friend. I struggled to get up, but was soon on my feet, glaring at the Queen. “I didn’t want to do that Brooklyn” I stared at her beady eyes slowly pulling up my gun. The Queen looked at Chloe, and then back at me. She smiled once more. And I knew what she was thinking. “CHLOE RUN!” I shouted but it was too late. She wrapped her tentacles around her body. And before I could react, the Queen tore her body apart, ripping her in half. I froze there, shocked I really had lost my friends.Tears filled my eyes and I soon started to cry. “Why are you doing this?” I shouted, I was bent over Chloe’s remains. My tears mixed in with the blood. “WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!?” I shouted again, anger swelled my voice. “ANSWER ME!”
“Brooklyn. Join me”
“What?”
“I can see into your heart, and I know everything about you”
“You don’t know anything about me” I whispered.
“YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!” I shouted so that she could hear me. “But I do. I know that you are not normal. I know that you have seen horrors. And I know that you will do wonders. On my side” I looked into her eyes, opened my backpack and pulled out a grenade. I realized that I had two choices. One, I could join the evil Queen and take over the world, or two I could use the grenades we have to blow up the Queen and her hive. It wasn’t to hard to make my desision. Click. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM.

“Ughhh” I rose up out of the firery ashes. “What…?” I looked up and saw rubbelry everywhere. There is no way she could of survived. Wait a minute… “I’m...alive” I remembered what the Queen had said you are not normal “But what does that mean” I asked myself. I stood up on my two feet and gazed apon what had been their ship. “Goodbye my friends” I whispered into the air. I slowly turned around and walked off into the sunset. Now I must go out into the world and find out what I am. But that’s a story for another day.

The End